Thursday 21 December 2006

Families




I have to say that the past three years have probably been the worst three years I will ever have in my entire life, no matter how long I live. My Dad got sick in the fall of 2004. He was diagnosed with cancer of the esophogus in September. He passed away in July 2005. David was diagnosed with cancer of the kidney in November 2005. He had his kidney removed December 28th 2005. The deep terror I felt for this entire time is finally ebbing. I'm sure it will never quite go away. Every time we have a follow-up CT for David a little bit of that terror surfaces but nothing like that dark, dark miserable time. What I do remember, and what has become a strength is the love of our families. During 2005 all the "I love you's", all the thoughts and prayers, all the support, all the phone calls and emails.. it all felt like a warm blanket. That's the closest I can come to explain how very important it was to me.

I was speaking to a friend today who has recently lost his Grampa. We were talking about the fact that even though you are experiencing a great loss it seems to bring families closer.

I am very lucky to have a huge wonderful family and I love each and every one of them very, very much.

I'm not sure I have ever been able to thank my family enough for that warm blanket that was such comfort during that horrible time, but... that's what families are for!

1 comment:

patsyrose said...

The love and support of your family can carry you through hell and back. I'm so glad we were able to instill the importance of family in our children.