Wednesday 19 December 2007

Out damn pins!!!!

I had the appointment to have five pins taken out of my poor beat up foot yesterday. I couldn't bring myself to go to the appointment alone so I conned my eldest (who I think has matured well past his mother lately) to go with me. If you recall from my previous post, we waited for 2 hrs. before being called into the waiting room. We did again. Meanwhile, Matthew decided he wanted to come and lend support to his poor tortured Momma. By the time Matthew got there we were already in the tiny exam room. Imagine...two hefty men and me in a tiny room. How wonderful to have the love and support of your offspring at a emotionally upsetting time, right? WRONG!!!! These brats kidded back and forth about yanking out the pins, Matthew spent more time hustling the cute little nurse that was given the daunting task of removing the pins. First she removed the cast. The kids were horrified, truly shocked to see their Mom with a man leg. The hair on my leg must have been 1/2" long! Wow. I thought it was pretty cool. Now for those of you who don't know, these are almost 3" pins, thicker than I can bend by hand! They look quite like 'allen keys'. There are FIVE of the to be pulled out of my foot with NO freezing. She put her thumb and forefinger about 1/2" apart and said it will hurt that much. Not believing her. I gave the kids heck for kidding around at such a time. I threatened that I would go home first and put on capris before we went Christmas shopping after this fiasco. They all laughed at me. Out came the pins, Nick says it was like uncorking a bottle, 1, 2, 3, 4 and finally 5. That last one actually hurt. The others were just very, very disgusting. The feeling is absolute revulsion. It doesn't really hurt but it feels disgusting. But, it's over. A huge hurdle, major hurdle. No more swelling, no more pinching. Awesome. The incision is infected and I will have to take antibiotics for 10 days, I can't weight bear quite yet, three more weeks. Then I will be able to fully walk! Heavenly. Soon I will be back behind the wheel and this will be a very distant nightmare. When my foot is completely healed I'm gonna kick those kid's butts! That'll teach 'em.

2 comments:

patsyrose said...

You know what those darned kids will rmember and tell their children and grandchildren? Not how brave their mother was but how long the hair on her leg was!

You're doomed to hear about this for the rest of your life!

But they were good boys to want to be with you for "support".

Shelley said...

Glad you survived! LOL