Wednesday 21 March 2007

Auntie Joyce

Friday will be my Aunt's birthday. She will be 75 (I think). That is so unbelievable to me. She is an absolutely beautiful woman. She should be the poster child for Dove (you know those commercials?). Here are some of my favorite memories with Joyce;

-I wasn't allowed to get my ears pierced until I was 16! My parents wouldn't let me. Finally when I turned 16 I had them done. Aunt Joyce took me out to buy my first real pair of ear rings. They were so beautiful. They were delicate little swirls of gold wire. I actually found one of them at the bottom of an old jewellery box (Niagara Falls - gift to my Mom from my Dad on their honeymoon) the other day. It meant a lot to me that she took the time out of her life to make it so special for me.

-I used to go out to their country home when I was a kid. There was a set of stairs that you pull down from the ceiling that took you up to their attic. I loved exploring up there.

-I used to work with Joyce. I remember one time some co-workers and I were laughing at my cousin about something stupid she did. I remember seeing Auntie Joyce with her finger out, beconing me over to give me heck for being mean to a family member. Always the Mother hen, always right.

-I remember going golfing with Joyce and Faye after work. I was so excited that they would include me in this ritual. We all sucked at golf I think.

And of course, going to their house now with David. We have so much fun up there.

Happy Birthday Auntie Joyce.
Love and Kisses

2 comments:

Shelley said...

Auntie Joyce - if you play the association game - means warmth, sweet giggle, welcoming. Don't you love her laugh??
75? She's timeless.
Much love Auntie Joyce and Happy Birthday!!

patsyrose said...

Joyce looked like a young Elizabeth Taylor when she was in her 20's. At 75, she's aged much better than Taylor.

Joyce was the one who took me under her wing when I first entered the family...even before I married into it.

She's my sister-in-law but, more importantly, she's my friend.