Friday 4 May 2007

Tech Train Flunky

You know, my Mom constantly talks about not knowing how to do stuff on the computer. I have to say I think she knows more than me in many respects. The older I get the more technology intimidates me.

About a month ago I bought an MP3 player for the gym. Thought it would be a good idea. Wasn't really sure how to get music into the frickin thing but figured if kids could do it so could I...Couldn't figure it out no how! I called my oldest son. I could hear him rolling his eyes! He told me to just give him a list and he would do it for me. That wasn't really what I wanted but instant gratification won over. Eventually I figured out how to add music to it. Eventually!

Then David thought my MP3 was so cool, he wanted one. He, of course, got a more expensive one than mine. We spent a week of sheer frustration and two visits back to BestBuy before we figured out how to get music into the damn thing. And...it really is easy once you know how!

We spent over $500.00 a few years ago on a theatre system. Got it home, all proud. We have never heard it work...can't figure it out! We've had a few friends look at it...they can't figure it out either. They have no vested interest in it working of course so they don't waste a lot of time on it. We bought a 54" TV just before the theatre system thing...it works but it's HD and I'm scared to death to approach the cable company to ask about utilizing the HD part. I'd like to know more about a PVR or whatever that is that everyone talks about but I don't know where to start.

I was right up to date on eight tracks, record players, cassettes, video recorders and DVD's, I don't know where I fell of the TechTrain!

2 comments:

patsyrose said...

Welcome to the world of the technologically impaired!

I remember not knowing how to use the VCR and having to ask your oldest son (who was 2 years old at the time) for help. I can still see his little diapered butt as he waddled up to the VCR, inserted a video, pressed a bunch of buttons, and then sat down to watch the movie he'd chosen.

One thing was different, though. He didn't roll his eyes at me. He was kinder then.

Shelley said...

I've now had my iPod for over a year - still don't know how to put music on it...it's full of Lisette's!!